Thursday, January 7, 2010

Things Fall Apart

Currently, I'm reading Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe and I'm reading this book for Global. This is a book about the events that take place in African villages (yeah I know, a place we don't really talk about in our daily conversations nowadays). The main character is Okonkwo. Okonkwo grew up with a father named Unoka; a lazy and irresponsible man who drank excessively and was known throughout the village to be the person who owed the most debt. Okonkwo grew up with a poor father figure and thus was further motivated to work hard in life for the things he wanted so that he wasn't looked down upon by others. Okonkwo finally made a name for himself when he wrestled a man called the Cat who had been undefeated and unbeatable. Oh and if I forgot to mention, if there's one things loved more than all the rest, it's achievement. From that point on, the book shows different conflicts that arise in the villages

So far a lot has happened but I'll tell you my thoughts. It's a pretty interesting book. The thing I like is that the book has a mix of an African folktale and a traditional story. It's a fairly fast read and I'm enjoying it...

The Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment