Allie comes from a wealthy and elite family, who lives lavishly and her parents get upset when they hear that she is in love with farmer. They automatically feel that Noah is unsuitable for her and they refuse to accept that fact that she loved him.
The book takes off when Allie pays a visit to Noah and at this point she's engaged to another man named Lon who is a successful, well-known and rich lawyer. And the reason she goes back to visit Noah is because she "checking" to see how Noah was (because they have been apart for fourteen years). Allie never had the same fire with Lon as she did with Noah during the summer she spent with him and he was just so special to her that the more time she spends catching up with Noah on the time they were apart.
In this book there's quite of few things I could connect this to. I mean the most obvious one is the relationship between a rich and poor. The girl's family is rich while the boy is poor and there's a conflict between the two because the rich family doesn't want their daughter to be around some peasant boy with no status or recognition in life. These themes can be related to stories like Aladdin where the odds are against the couple because society says that they can't be together. A second connection I have is to my Global History class. The book takes place during World War Two and it mentions how Noah served in the war in Europe and our Global class is just learning about the war and it was just great that I was able to know the context behind the setting.
I also took note of Nicholas Sparks's writing style. Although I have only read one of his books, I actually went to go see Dear John--which was also written by Sparks-- in theaters two days ago. As I was watching the movie and reading the book, I could see some correlations between the two. Both story lines involved a love story, letters, time, being apart from one another, and a love that was created in a short period of time.
Can't Wait for my next book. It's called Sarah's Key and I'm hoping to finish more books over break:)
The Reader
No comments:
Post a Comment