Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Wal-Mart Effect by Charles Fishman


This book is about Wal-Mart's impact on the world. The book starts out with saying how once, Wal-Mart and retailers decided the paperboard boxes of deodorant were a waste. They gave examples of how the boxes took up too much shelf-spot, wasted fuel and cost more money to ship. So they decided to get rid of the box and it has saved the nation a tremendous amount of money ...(we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars).

Personally, I didn't know that Wal-Mart has been "shaping" the world. I was surprised to see that it is THE most influential company in the world. This books shares insane facts like how "Wal-Mart sells more by Saint Patrick's Day...than Target does all year" and it's crazy to see how such a powerful company impacts each and every person in some way, shape or form. This book was published in 2006 and I wonder how different some of the numbers and facts would differ. I wonder how the recession has affected Wal-Mart. This book is definitely different from what I'm used to reading but it's actually interesting how a mix of books helps you think.

Thanks for Reading,
The Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment